
Previous Post from August 2007:
In our links section you will see a new link titled, "sheri's blog." Her picture is the bridesmaid on your far right. My best college roomie Sheri is simply an amazing girl. She is a wonderful middle school math teacher! Who LOVES middle school anyway? Well, Sheri does. She loves middle schoolers, she loves to run insane distances really early in the morning, she loves math, she loves to dance (even though she would never admit it), she trusts in her God with all the suprises and stumbling blocks in her life (like suddenly loosing her dear mom, Judy, a few years ago), she is honest, she likes to laugh at me and tell people I do really stupid things (like lock my keys in the car at the beach with the car still running!), she likes ham and cheese sandwiches (a lot), she loves her family & her fav. college rommie (me).
Sheri is also battling cancer. Her blog makes me laugh and cry, but more laughing than crying... that is how Sheri is. Check it out. She is my amazing friend.
Late in the afternoon on July 5th Sheri VanTholen passed away. Many thoughts have been racing through my head since I heard the news of Sheri's death... I will write them soon in a memory to my dear friend. I am sad that I cannot be in Chicago to attend the services. Please pray for her family.
We used to sing this song ALL the time in college together. We'd take a study break and stand up on our chairs in the dorm room and sing it! As I was reading through the lyrics today, remembering my sweet friend Sheri, I can't help but meditate on the fact that no one is insignificant in God's eyes. Sheri was a wonderful example of a Christian woman who used the gifts God gave her for his Glory.
Bus Driver
Caedmon's Call
I am a bus driver
and it's four in the morning
And I'm pressing out my clothes beside my bed
Fourteen years been on the job and with many miles behind
Still I'm up at three thirty to make sure I'm there on time
My car gets me along just fine to and from the station
But my castle is this Houston Metro Bus
My first stop is Ashbury.
And the sign's been gone for years
but all the same the people wait cause they know that I'll be there.
What would you say if I told you that I won't be by today?
Would you say that I'm just a bus driver
and what do I know,
just a bus driver
and what do I know,
just a bus driver
and what do I know?
Well, I'm always there by five fifteen
and lately I've been early
'cause Judith likes to be in early to the bank.
And she gives me conversation and a token good for riding.
And she's happy all alone
And then there's Charles in retail sales;
and I hope they pay him well
for the work that young man does
Cause I've never seen the inside
of a custom refrigerator
but I know he's the first and last one there
I wonder what they do all day,
and their respective works.
Suppose they give money and take money away.
Still, I'm just orbiting this town
with the post office my sun.
And I'm circling again.
And I wonder how this world would be
if I was never here to drive this bus around from Ashbury to Main.
Suppose this town would be the same
but with one bus' less exhaust.
But that bank and retail stores,
they just wouldn't be the same.
But what can I see from the limited confines of my bus driving seat?
Only me.
2 comments:
Cari,
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Death is an enemy which tries to sting us, tries to mock, but it has become powerless in view of eternity with Christ. Mourn well the loss, but rejoice in her new estate.
Cari,
It is so painful to lose a friend. I am so sorry for your loss. Your friendship was so precious to her, I know. How sweet it is to know that your sorrow is her joy!
Love,
Debbie
Post a Comment