Saturday, February 28, 2009

Freezer Food.

Freezer Meals.

Inspired by the girls in Louisville. I have decided to post a bit on freezing meals. Most of my freezing abilities comes from my mother-in-law. Thanks Debbie!

The other day I was baking for a few families at our church and I decided to make a BUNCH of food, some to freeze and some to give away. I was trying to stay within a budget. It was a lot of work, but well worth it in the end!

SIDE NOTES:
*I buy my chicken when our local store sells bone-in chicken split breasts buy one get one free. This saves quite a bit of money when making large chicken dishes.
*I save the chicken broth (freeze it in bags) and use it for soups and such.
*The pie crusts for the pot pie can be make from scratch or bought pre-made (a bit pricier but does save time)


Chicken Spaghetti:

3 T Margarine
3 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 Large Chicken (I use three large split chicken breasts)
1 Bell pepper
1 Onion
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup (I use healthy select for soups)
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 lb Colby Cheese (Does well with less cheese if trying to save money)
1 12 oz package Vermicelli pasta

Boil chicken. Debone. Save broth. Boil pasta in chicken broth. Saute onion and bell pepper in margarine. Add Worcestershire sauce. Mix in soups and chicken. Mix vermicelli with the other mixture, add chicken broth to make good consistency. Top with grated cheese. Cook at 350 until cheese melted and casserole bubbles. (If freezing do not bake, simply wrap and freeze)

Yields 2 casseroles 9x13 inches.
Serves 16 people.




Chicken Pot Pie:

Leftover chicken or turkey. (3 bone-in split chicken breasts)
2 large cans Veg-all
2 cans cream of chicken soup (can use one and water it down to save $)
Pie crust. top and bottom.

You can easily stretch this recipe to make three (3) deep dish chicken pot pies, or (1) 9x13 & (1) standard pie. It really depends how much chicken you use. The recipe can easily be doubled too!

No comments: