Saturday, July 18, 2009

Summer Book Review: Shopping for Time, by Mahaney girls.

"How to do it all and not be overwhelmed"

I highly recommend this creative, Godly, and helpful book to women of all ages. In typical Mahaney fashion, this book explodes with practical wisdom, Biblical insight, and witty humor! The reader does not finish feeling like they are being scrutinized, due to the girls ever-so transparent nature of writing and their ability to naturally reveal their own sinfulness and struggles as moms, grandmothers, and wives. I believe whatever stage in life you find yourself -- married, single, teenager, grandmother, widow -- you will appreciate this precious book!

My favorite chapter has to be "The 5 am club." This is an area for which I have struggled all my married life, especially since having children. Basically, the principal behind this chapter is to rise early before your family does. I noticed that once kids came into the picture I started to loath my alarm clock and I lusted after sleep of any kind. Recently I realized I never had time to myself, my Bible reading and prayer life was lacking, and my kids were getting up before me and wondering around the house, so I decided something needed to change!!!

"Life is too short!" I thought to myself, "Get out of bed and do your job!!!"
For the record, my mom was the first person who told me that a wife/mother should rise early before her family: prepare for the day, have time with the Lord, and quietly greet the morning (cup of coffee in hand!!!). The Lord has blessed me with prime examples of women who served and loved Christ and their families -- Thanks Mom, Grandmother, and Big Mama for your Godly example!! NOW I an going to strive to follow it!!

I am not sure that my club will be the 5AM club though. That might be a bit too early for me to handle!!!! What time do you all wake up???

*** Rising early might not be for you & that is OK. i am definitely not saying it is "THE RIGHT" way to do things. I have a few friends that simply don't sleep at night and they MUST sleep late in the morning in order to gain enough energy to function throughout the day. ***

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh my goodness... who are some of these friends you are thinking of who sleep in the morning?! such weirdos! ;)