Saturday, February 20, 2010

When the world comes to your back door... open it!!

I am reminded daily that there is a vast amount of information that I know nothing about. There are multitudes of people groups who I will never have a chance to meet, learn about, laugh with, or share Christ with personally. There are glorious differences in language, manner, and beauty perfectly created in the image of God that I will not glimpse upon in my lifetime. This creation is vast and amazing. Tonight I had to opportunity to befriend a few Bhutanese families from our church. Most of them have only been in the States for one year or less. My transition from Florida to Phoenix suddenly seem trivial in light of the story of their lives! Sometimes it is helpful to get perspective.






At one point our church had 200 Bhutanese attending. I am not sure how many attend today, but it is still a good number. When you visit you will see them most likely because they will smile and warmly greet you. Some are dressed in traditional attire while others are what they call "more americanized" in their dress. A happy people. They attend our first service and then go to another building where someone helps them try to understand the sermon through a translator. God has given Trinity a great gift by sending people right to our door!!

What is their story?

Well, I had the same question. I found a website called Bhutanese Refugees that explains the history of the Lhotshampas people from Bhutan.

What do they believe?

While most of Bhutan is Buddhist, these refugees are Hindu. This is part of the reason for their exile. This is difficult when witnessing and understanding what they believe because they have many gods.

Where is Bhutan?


No comments: