

Yes, we live a very busy life. Mondays are treasured family days - a time in which we try to enjoy one another without too many interruptions from other things. It is the only day of the week that Joshua doesn't have to work (he works Sunday and about 8 hours on Sat evenings). People don't really understand that the life of a Pastor's family is really busy. Really Busy. I never understood until I was in the midst of it. Not really. There is minimal consistency to one's schedule. Flexibility is a must & often desired after (in my own heart) trait.
We still struggle at times to know what is best. How easy it is to fall into over-working mode and neglect your family (both for women and men). We have found a couple who have been in the ministry for 25 years, they are mentoring and counselling us through the difficulties of being in the ministry and I am eternally greatful for their counsel, encouragement, wisdom, and straight forward direction! We need all the help we can get.
One thing that is difficult for me is not to grow bitter due to the affections my husband gives the church. As a women there is a tendency to feel jealous over time spend with the members (time at work, thinking about work, or going out the door to work) that make up the local church. I alone know how much time, energy, and heart goes into the people from my husband. Each moment he gives them, takes from us. It is hard to share him. That is the honest truth. I am learning to share & he is learning to say "no I need to be with my family!" Both are tricky. Both are hard things to learn! This year has been one rocky road as we attempt to balance church and family life!
Here is our order of priorities.... we are trying, learning, and growing in this balancing act.
JESUS;SPOUSE;CHILDREN;CHURCH
One thing I have going for me personally as a pastor's wife is that I LOVE THE CHURCH! (despite the tears i have shed over her, the distance i have moved for her, the hurt i have felt by the sinners that make her up... despite all that I am thankful that God has moved my heart to love her all the more!)
I love the local church in general. I love the people at church. And people are messy. Hang on for a wild ride as you try to love people. They hurt you, they tell you crazy stories, they confide in you things you might not want to know, they make you cry, they make you laugh, they wrap their lives all around your until sometimes you have to remind yourself who is who!? but that my friend is the body of believers we are called to love. His Sheep! :) Pretty amazing that I am even a part of that flock - daily I am grateful & daily I remind myself that I am pretty messy too!!
I love the church's purpose! I feel a draw to it's preservation, it's gospel-centeredness, it's warmth. I am eager to see people respond to the preaching of the Word. To seek out discipleship from other believers as they grow and God chances hearts!
I also love going to church. Sunday's are crazy, yes! I am constantly amazed at how the evil one attempts to wreck your heart as you prepare to Worship the ONE TRUE GOD! Sunday mornings for us can often times be difficult. I loose my shoes, the boys socks, Joshua's keys, & i often times loose my temper!! (this past Sunday poor Joshua backed straight into my Van! Yes, really.)
So we continue to try to balance these things we love: church & family. I pray that our children always see that JOSHUA and I make them the priority over church, our marriage the priority over them, and Jesus the priority over our marriage. :)
3 comments:
Thank you, dear (though distant) friend, your insight, experiences, honesty, and love for you family and the church are a great encouragement to me! I will be sure to pray for your priorities when I think of the Vincent family. Love to you all!
Lindsay
Ahh! I'm so eager to hear your June 15 (16?) news....
praying for these first days...
love you,
jill
Just wanted to thank you for this post - Kevin is also a pastor and I a pastor's wife....everything you said is so very true and I am constantly wrestling/praying through how to love and embrace the Church when it is revealed in such a raw way, but also learning how I am equally "raw" :) This is quite an adventure for sure...and just read about what you guys are faithfully enduring right now, please know we are praying for you all from Augusta, Georgia. Peace to you! Tara Figgins (not sure if you remember, but we went to 3rd Ave many years ago when Aaron was there)
Post a Comment