Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Health Update: MAEB NO

I haven't done one of these in a while and I have been asked by a number of people for a quick update: so here goes...

MAEB NO? What is that you might be asking...

For 30 days (M-F) I lay on a table from 10:30-10:40am.  After making sure I was lined up correctly, I would hear a little scurry of feet leave the room. Typically accompanied by kind voices saying, "alright hunny, just a few minutes..." Then like clockwork I would see the reflection of "BEAM ON" as I stared up into the radiation machine above my head. Those lights - ugh. Lights of hope. Lights of pain. Lights where I knew I couldn't put my trust.
Radiation really wasn't too bad. They are able to aim the radiation beams at my chest, underarm, and collarbone area. These are the areas of concern because they contain lymph nodes. Also, the chest wall and skin are radiated to kill any remaining cancer cells that might have lingered after surgery.  I was fortunate to only experience burns the last week of treatment and the week following treatment. Most of those burns are healed now.

What now??

Tamoxifen: This is a hormone drug that actually takes away my hormones. ugh. I started this about a week after radiation. So far I have had side effects but nothing too terrible. I have been pushed into menopause by chemotherapy and the hope is that I will stay there. My cancer is fed by hormones so we always want to keep those hormones at bay and away!! :) I will take this at least five years and maybe more...

3 month check ups: My blood work looks good at this point. I will continue to go into my oncologist every 6 weeks to three months for blood work and check ups. I will probably have a PET scan in 3-6 months.

What else am I doing? EVERYTHING i can to keep this cancer away forever!!!!

diet: My diet consists of mostly all veggies, fruits, and whole grains (complex carbs). I try to stay clear of simple sugars, processed foods, and artificial junk!
exercise: I am currently in PT trying to build up my muscles and get back my range of motion in my left arm. It was hurt after surgery and radiation. YEAH FOR PT!! I am trying to engage in moderate exercise daily!! this is hard with three kids....
environmental: i am still researching what to change here. Plastic storage is being thrown out of our home.... that is a start. :)






1 comment:

Jill K said...

Precious Friend,
So glad to read and now reread this update from you... so glad this mother's day was so perfect! Oh I love you dear and am so glad to stand with you in prayer for your health and His glory...

with much love-
in Christ,
j