Have you ever had family pictures taken? We have...
....isn't it so romantic and melodious the way the family cooperates. Everyone dresses quickly as they are excited with great anticipation to get their pictures taken. The kids are so patient as I politely ask them to "put on their pretty smiles." They respond with quick and pleasant hearts as they jump, smile, dance, and hug on cue. It warms my heart to see how sweet we all look as a family. The hubby throws his arms around me with pure delight and shows me warm affection which is only minimally captured by the camera lens. My heart floods with affections to him as well. The baby giggles. No bribing necessary. The family shows all of its perfect harmony in this moment as we permanently capture our beauty and love for each other.
NOT!!!!!
This is what is really looks like.... EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!
I am frantic trying to get everyone dressed. The one shirt we need for Johnny has stains on it and we can only find one of Benjamin's shoes. The car runs out of gas on the way to the photo shoot that we are already late for. All three boys and I (in high heels) walk in the 110 degrees to the park where our photographer waits patiently. Everyone at this point is grouchy and tired and not so thrilled about the idea of smiling. I am starting to get angry. No. I am angry. Joshua thinks its my fault that the gas was on fumes only and I think it is his fault. We struggle to put away our thoughts to look happy while the photographer asks us to stand a little closer to one another! HA! My thoughts are anything but lovely to at this moment. I manage to smile.
The kids are wrestling, covered in grass, dirty, shoes off. The baby is crying. Bribing is necessary. Or maybe threatening. I am yelling at the boys to "stop killing each other. Smile. Stop picking their noses. Smile. Quit running around and just SMILE!!"
Somehow our fantastic photographer manages to get some really great pictures.
Oh the reality of life. This is it. Life in the trenches. We have to constantly repent due to our sinful hearts that so quickly turn into actions which do not glorify God. Maybe your family pictures are more pleasant. I hope so! :) But I am sure you have moments like this. Moments you don't want anyone to see or know about. Moments that remind you that you are a sinner in need of a great rescuer. We all are. So I believe it is OK to step back and laugh at those moments as long as it is accompanied by a grateful, repentant heart!!! That is the melody we seek. One that amplifies our LOVE for our King! :)
Here are a few pictures.... Would have no idea would you????
Here they are! Thanks Tara Daukas.

2 comments:
My adult children confessed that their goal with our annual Christmas card photo was to goof around until I lost it. One year that resulted in a broken prop - and the photo is now an "Awkward Family Pet Photos" classic. True story.
oh dear I love you! So great to see you.... and you are BEAUTIFUL as ever!
Post a Comment