Monday, February 25, 2008

A few minutes, a few thoughts

My son is passed out in his bed because we kept the poor kid up till 9:30 with all the youth from our church at our house. He loved it.

Today is Joshua's birthday! Happy Birthday Joshua!!! 28th. As he turns a year older I can't help but think about how quickly time flies by.

Recently a good friend of our family lost her husband of many years (i believe over 60 years together). Mrs. Brady and her dear spouse, who she affectionately called "Brady," were so kind to me as I attended Lake Osborne Presbyterian Church throughout my college years. I could also count on a big hug from both of them and a welcoming pat on the pew to sit. And so i did, eagerly. I not only sat with them each Sunday, but I watched them. I watched they loved each other...the way he lead her gently...how they held hands while they sang to their savior...the way she smiled at him with apparent respect and adoration...how she continued to love and adore him when he no longer could be self-sufficient and relied on her for daily needs.

Above all, I watched the way Mr. and Mrs. Brady worked for Christ in their older age. They were not retired from service to their Lord and Savior. They were not lazy in their pursuit of Holiness. The Brady's continued to be on fire for their faith, through a great reflection of the cross in word and deed.

I am sure Mrs. Brady continues her devotion to Christ in Tallahassee, FL. Thank you for your wonderful example to me.

We need more Christians like this. Thinking about the Bradys makes me wonder what I will be like once I am in my 70's and 80's. Will I sit on the pew at church and wish to be entertained? Will I retire from service in the local church? Will I talk about the "good old days" and hope for minimal change? Will I sadly wish things had turned out different? Will I collect dishes and sea shells and neglect evangelistic opportunities with my children, grandchildren, and neighbors? (there is nothing wrong with sea shells and dishes)

OR

Will I be more like Christ? Will I be like Mr. and Mrs. Brady? Will i welcome those who are different and unfamiliar into my life and pat the pew to have them sit with me in church? Will I teach younger woman and invest in their lives? Will I evangelize eagerly? Will I trust in my church's leadership? Will I confess my sins and continue to turn from them? Will i grasp my husband's hand affectionately? I will look at Joshua will the love I do today, even if he loses his ability to protect and care for me? Will I rejoice in God's blessings and wait eagerly for the day when I can greet him face to face?

I surely hope so.


Happy Birthday Joshua! I love "growing older" with my hand in yours.

4 comments:

page said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a wonderful testimony for God in that couple! I pray that my husband (one day!) and I draw nearer to God as we love each other and serve Him together. You and Josh have already been examples of Him as you follow Him in obedience.

Vincent said...

Few joys can compete with the sublimity of having a wife that has such kind thoughts towards such an imperfect creature. Thanks sweetheart!

Rick and Jill Howard said...

Happy Bday Josh!!! We hope you love your gift, and no, it's not coffee ;) Love the post Cari- hey, I collect seashells and you collect dishes... now when I look at the shells on the beach I will think about how I can serve God more in my daily life. Great reminder!!!