I have been blessed with very comfortable sleep throughout this entire pregnancy, but for some reason tonight I cannot sleep. After being up practically every hour since my 11pm bedtime I have decided to simply get out of bed and eat ice. I LOVE ICE! Unfortunately I have passed this ice crunching habit (which greatly increasing during pregnancy) down to Benjamin, who frequently will reach into people's glasses to retrieve his cherished ice or stand by the freezer and say, "ICE?." So, here I sit with thoughts at 4am.
Before posting here I have read all of my friends' blogs.
Mary really got me thinking about how profitable it can be to read simple Bible stories to our children (for our own hearts as well as theirs). When we read stories such as Jonah, Moses, or Abraham we are repeating basic Biblical principles such as "God is merciful" and "God is pleased when we obey Him." Benjamin loves the story of Joseph. I think partly because when we name Jacob's children he hears his name and points to his chest until I say, "Yes, like your name." I find it easy to take principles in these stories and relay them to our everyday lives. For example, we see throughout the old testiment a people who disobey God, God disciplines them, God shows them mercy, and those who turn to Him in repentance are blessed. We see how pleased God is when we obey him and how sad and angry he is when we disobey him. What a wonderful principle for a two year old who often wants to do his own thing and not obey!! We desire for Benjamin to obey his parents because it pleases God. I urge you to look at your child's heart and make the effort to teach and correct it and not just modify their behavior.
Mom talked the other day about women who are controlled in their marriages. Having seen a number of women in my life who suffer in this way makes me praise God even more for Joshua. I am so blessed to have a husband who I eagerly love and impatiently wait to come home to me.
I always said that I waited so long to marry because my standard (the example my father set) was so high. Growing up, my father set a great example for me in the way he treated his children and spouse. I can count on one hand the number of times I felt like my father was angry at me (though i am sure it more than that). My dad is probably one of the most patient men I know. He never failed to express his love for his daughters through Godly correction and love. And talk about FUN!!! My parents also displayed a marriage that reflected God's love for His church. Their affection for each other was consistent and real.
My sister and I can remember a few times when we really angered (or even upset) our father. Probably in my teen years. I can remember just feeling horrible because I had hurt him.
This is the heart we should have towards our Heavenly Father as well. Are we saddened when we sin against him? Teaching Benjamin to obey God and remember how sad I am when I do wrong against my father are both wonderful reminders to look at my own heart towards my God. Do i eagerly work at obeying him? Am I saddened my my sinfulness?
2 comments:
Thanks for your encouragement and thoughts! I should probably do more during the middle of the nigh as well!
-Anne
I agree I should use my middle of the night feedings to do something productive as well. I am sure your new found sleeplessness is preparing you for baby no names arrival. I can't wait to meet him :-)
Post a Comment