I have been learning to cook more since being a stay-at-home mom.
Let me let you a frightening kitchen/cooking story which sent us racing to the ER Monday night. I had been cooking a left-over chicken in the crock-pot to make chicken stock for onion soup. Joshua had just returned home from work (so it was about 530 or so) and Benjamin and him were playing out on the porch with play doh. I decided to transfer the chick stock from the HOT crock pot to the stove top using a medium sized bowl. The bowl was aluminum or some other conductor of heat!! Not a good idea. I picked up the bowl filled with hot chicken broth and dropped it on the floor. I must have attempted to catch it as it fell because it splashed all over my face. Because I have a great fear of BURNS I stuck my head under the facet and yelled for joshua to get some ice. That is when it got crazy. I started to panic because it was stinging so bad in my eye and on my face, Joshua kept asking "what Happened? what Happened?" and Benjamin began to cry because we were scaring him. (can't you imagine?!) After about two minutes of icing my face and sticking my head under the facet I still felt like my face was burning off so we headed to the ER. Our friend Mary, who is a nurse, came rushing over to check on us and pick up Benjamin.
The poor nurses in the hospital had to calm me down because I kept crying and telling them I was scared I would scar and half my face was going to have to be debrieded (a process in the burn unit where you rub off dead skin and keep the wound clean). Thankfully, I only suffered first and second degree burns with no damage to my eye. No up close pictures for a few weeks!!! The swelling was bad the next day ( my right eye was half closed) but Joshua had fun making pirate noises at me. The worst burns are really on the sensitive skin surrounding my right eye. The swelling has really gone down today. The skin is quite dark around my right eye and very irritated. We are just glad it wasn't worse!!
SO WHAT AM I THANKFUL FOR YOU ASK!!???
1. That it wasn't worse.
2. That Benjamin wasn't in the kitchen that evening.
3. That my vision doesn't seem to have been impacted by the burn.
2 comments:
Oh, my! That kind of thing is SO scary. I'm thankful that you're okay.
Ice and cold water to cool the skin, yes.
Also thankful that you didn't call me to see what you should do :). Now, do we need to review the physics of the situation?
Maybe a SHORT (did I say short??) physics lesson should be ordered!!
Nice.
Post a Comment