Thursday, November 13, 2008

Grandmother Cook.

I have been remembering my grandmother a lot lately: Lottie Dickinson Cook.

* Grandmother used to always tell me to sit in her lap while I was still small enough. I still remember her hugging me tight and putting me in her lap. She has this great swirly little rocking chair in her living room.

* She always told me to brush my teeth. She didn't want mine to fall out!

* I loved her hands. I can still remember exactly what her hands looked like. They were elegantly thin...spotted and wrinkled from years of hard work...always clean...neat filed nails...cold...warm and tender in the way they cared for her family...tough in the way they gardened, cleaned, cooked, ironed, and made her house a home...

* She made the best iced tea.

* She always woke up early to begin her housework.

* She was not a complainer.

* Grandmother loved the Lord her God with all her Heart, her Soul, and her Mind.

* She hated her picture taken.

* She loved caring for the weak, lonely, widowed, needy, and "different."

* She loved us. She told us she loved us. She showed us too.



*

1 comment:

Ginnie said...

She sounds like a very lovely woman.