Tuesday, February 01, 2011

missed call...loving friend.

While driving today in the car I noticed a missed call on my phone from a 502 number. Knowing full well that 502 is KY, i jumped at the chance to call it back hoping it was a dear girl who had been on my mind most of the day Monday. AND IT WAS!!! Yeah for friends who call at random times and our Lord who gives us such blessings!

Mary and I met 6 years ago about this time. Both were newly married and beginning Seminary with our hubbies, recently moved to KY, and struggling with our identify and faithfulness during the time of great transition. We bonded.

The first thing I remember about Mary was her sweet smile and wrist watch. The watch stood out to me because it reminded me of my friends' overseas who loved adventure and varied cultures - they always donned watches similar to that one. She also spoke kindly and wore about three pony tail holders on her left wrist next to the black banded watch. Why I noticed these things I am not sure, but I did.

On our first outing as "friends" we met at a local Frankfort Ave coffee shop on a cold, probably rainy, Feb night in Louisville. She arrived with her worn Bible, duct taped notebook, and grand smile. Her conversation was one I had rarely experienced among ladies in their twenties - Christ centered and transparent. very transparent.

Over the past four years we have tagged teamed phone calls, sent emails, and lifted one another in prayer. How I am thankful for the sweet words that have flowed at me in humble and quiet tones for over 6 years now! I will miss them SO MUCH! I knew today that those calls would be farther apart - as her mighty Creator prepares to send her to a foreign land to do his good works.

When I ended the call I blinked tears from my eyes. I was sad.
& Thankful & joyful - knowing what a GOOD GOD we serve! I love you dear friend! :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love you, too, Cari. You (and Laura C) were were my absolute lifelines that got me through that first year. Don't forget, SKYPE!