Seriously, I have never seen my children get quite as disruptive as on a trip to Walmart. It is terrible.
My theory suggests that when your children are: standing the cart, running and hiding in the racks, yelling, laughing hysterically, ect... your judgement is dispelled by pure fear that you have suddenly become "ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!"
That fear of total embarrassment (& understanding that your children are being incredible disobedient to your calm voice) causes you to do one of two things: abandon the cart and retreat for further discipline in the car OR just buy random things and not exercise correct reasoning skills while purchasing. Walmart's secret goal is the later. Often times it works!!
I hate going to Walmart.
We had an incident last week that changed my mind... at least for a few moments. While standing in the tools section with child singing "twinkle, twinkle little star" quite loudly I noticed a second voice join in. Looking to my left I noticed an older man, probably in his 90's, scooting down the isle in his go-kart type cart. He was singing with Benjamin. We struck up a conversation. Mostly him talking to the boys and the boys asking him questions. They are not hesitant to question boldly! At one point the gentleman told the boys he was an old soldier.
"How can you be a soldier?" Benjamin asked kindly, "You are in that wheelchair!"
Good thought. Slightly embarrassing.
"Well," said the man patiently, "being a soldier put me in this chair! Have you ever heard of World War II?"
"You were a soldier in WWII?" Asked my inquisitive oldest.
"Yes! You could be soldier too one day."
"Oh on thank you!" Said Benjamin plainly, "Soldiers die in war. And I don't think I want to do that right now!"
"What is the on your arm?" asked Johnny Bear. Touching the mans arm gently. "How did you get those boo boos?"
"Well, have you heard of the atomic bomb? Those marks on my arms are radiation damage from a bomb. I was in the 82nd airborne and had to drop bombs on the Japan."
Our conversation got even more interesting from there. Seeing that over 1100 WWI vets die each day, I felt honored to talk to this kind man and to have my boys thank him for his service!
No comments:
Post a Comment