Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teach them to be friends.





I once read about the importance of making sure you teach your children to be friends. I decided to embrace it with my boys from the beginning.

Here are a few ways I like to encourage their friendship...

Everyday we mention that a brother is your best friend for your whole life (we actually talk about cousins in similar way)! We thank God for this gift! The boys are so excited that they get another best friend in June!!

Have them tell each other "I love you!" often and in a meaningful way.

Make sure that their siblings are always first on the birthday friend invite list. Their best friend should be on that list (no matter the age difference). No matter what!

Make going to the siblings "functions" (swim lessons, t-ball, soccer, preschool events...) a priority. We support our brothers & take joy in their triumphs!!

Encourage them to have fun together.

It is amazing how fallen we are due to sin. You can witness this in a very young child. Begin teaching your children that they are sinners in need of a Savior. Teach humility.

Help them learn to get along regardless of their differences in personality and interests. Teach them how God made them different and that is a good thing!!! :)

Don't put up with fighting, yelling, hitting, or anything that causes distension in their sibling relationships. I have seen so many families allow fighting between siblings as if it is a standard with which they have no control. Don't tolerate it! (i know it happens in your home as it does in our... so teach your kids that it is sin and they shoudl run from those kind of heart attitudes and actions)

1 comment:

B Nettles said...

This is a great post in so many ways. I wish we had realized it sooner, because now we have to work on it with "adult" siblings.

It's easier with 2 boys than with a boy and girl, but that's not an excuse to "quit."

I really like "don't let them fight." That teaches them to have respect for others as well because they are learning to identify the sin of pride and selfishness.