I have had about 27 rabbits in my lifetime. I am not sure if that suggests that I am a poor sustainer of life or a good Samaritan (in the rabbit world). My newest bunny lives in midst of prickly bushes in safety "outside" of my world just north of my living room bay windows that gleam with sunlight due to their lack of coverings (shades, blinds...). He seems like a happy fellow & I enjoy watching him. Poor little guy lost his babies to a dumb yellow cat that I was unable to ward off on time one morning! Cats are strange creatures. Not sure why he is a guy. Peter Rabbit might have influenced me.
Sometimes I think his crepuscular (this means awake/active at twilight & dawn) life appears so inviting. He eats. He hides. He eats. He hides. I don't think I would like the hiding part, or his overly anxious personality that stresses demands on his little heart, or the constant chewing; however, I think I could embrace the simplicity!! :)
I have begun waking up at dawn. Currently that is before 6am. I love it. My spot on the sofa gives me perfect few of our fountain, patio, and bunny world. The table beside me gives my coffee a nice resting place and most importantly my Bible gives my heart time with my Savior. It is quiet. It is good. Very good.
I see a number of parallels between me and my bunny. He gets frightened. I fear things like man (as in people), the unknown, failure. Coyotes come and try to gobble him up for lunch (i have chased one coyote & three cats away from his prickly bush). My heart gets attacked by sin of this world and I need my Shepherd to chase it away. He eats. I eat: having put on 30 lbs in 8 months (ok, i am pregnant but that is a LOT of weight... my babies love to make me fat!). He is still. I am learning to be still - especially in these early morning hours with my Shepherd & Creator!
So, I hope you have a place to watch the bunnies. It might be at night. It might be in your bed, or your hammock, or your car, or the shower. Find a place friend and be intimate with your Savior. It is good.
* a note to families in the ministry: It is easy to become very busy. I am very busy with "church happenings" like nursery coordinating...preschool teaching...saying "hello!"...making sure josh zips his fly (you think i am kidding... that is another story entirely)...keeping kids not only trained and disciplined, but loving & clean...helping my oldest sit through a service and learn to worship...it gets crazy!!! There is NOTHING that should take the place of mornings at my window with bunny (& my Bible of course).
This verse has touched my heart this week.
"For the Lord is good and his steadfast love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:5
And the first face I saw this morning! My delight...
1 comment:
I'm still laughing about the zipper! Please tell me it hasn't happened again.
Post a Comment